Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Learning About Open Access, or, Finding Out That I Have Something in Common With College Students

I found the following video on the Open Access Week website, and when I did, I watched it, hoping it would help me understand what Open Access is and means, in the context of higher education. It did help, but it also made me think about a few other things. Spoiler Alert: It's not until the final seconds that a student answers the question "What is Open Access?" correctly. However, I think this entire video - not just the last few seconds - is useful for a couple of reasons. In our OER work group we talk a lot about all the things that will need to change before "openness" is really embraced in the field of higher education. I think it's important to note that as of right now, there are lots of misconceptions about openness, not just open access, and there is also a clear lack of familiarity with the terms. This video highlights that, and it evokes a sense of disconnection that I can relate to. I work with computers all day at my job, and I have one at home that I use a lot. And I work in the field of higher education. And yet I didn't know what Open Access was/is/means. But, I'm not ashamed, because this personal admission makes my point: There isn't a huge market out there for Openness right now. There could be, some might argue that there should be, but the primary consumers of the movement are folks in the fields of technology and education or some combination of both. And for the movement to really BE a movement, we'll need to reach audiences outside of that. So, now that I watched that video and read the Open Access resources, I know that Open Access is digital material that is free and available to anyone, for any use (unless otherwise specified in the licensing restrictions provided). And this, again, is a great idea, with great value and an even more admirable goal. I just think a lot more people will need to be asked "What is Open Access, and What Can it Do For You?" before its value can really be understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment