Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Let's Try This Openness Thing...

Today, I visited David Wiley's new course on Open Education: http://openeducation.us/Welcome.

As it turns out, getting started as a participant is a wee bit complicated. Once you decide to participate, you are directed to the Participants page, where you are asked to visit a Wiki and add your name and blog address.
Once you go to the Wiki, you are asked to join the wiki in order to participate. In order to join the wiki, you must request an account. This process is pretty standard, and it asks you for a username and email address, but it also requires a 50 word (minimum) biography.  (sigh). Once you complete your "request" you are asked to wait for your account request to be approved. (another sigh)

I submitted my account, and got a confirmation email that asked me to confirm that I - not anyone else - created this account. I clicked on the link to confirm, and it took me back to the wiki, which I cannot read or edit until I have my account. (ARGH!)

Now I'm waiting for someone's approval to participate in the Open Education course. So far, I'm not clear on the "openness" of this course, and its appeal is unclear, too, at least for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment